Tuesday, May 24, 2011

“100 Days to Heaven”: A Refreshing TV Series




I seldom watch teleseryes; most often than not, my schedule does not permit me to watch primetime TV.  

I chanced upon “100 Days to Heaven” last week. It was a Sunday, if I am not mistaken.  I believe that it was a replay of the pilot episode shown last May 9. I instantaneously recognized it as the series being plugged by ABS-CBN which I’ve seen a couple of times.  Seeing Coney Reyes as one of the main casts made me sit and watch it (I don’t watch primetime TV, but I watch Coney Reyes and company’s CBN Asia almost every night).  I have not been aware of Coney Reyes doing TV series recently, so I told myself that this must be a good project for her to be in it.  So I watched and I was not disappointed.  

http://www.internetphilippines.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/100-Days-to-Heaven-Teleserye.jpg
What impressed me most about “100 Days to Heaven” is its storyline and dialogues. I won't go into describing the plot anymore, since I am sure that many are aware of the character of Anna Manalastas, which is being played by Coney Reyes as the adult Anna and Xyriel Manabat as the little Anna. For me, what is noteworthy about "100 Days to Heaven's" storyline and treatment is that the viewer can readily comprehend the "motivation" behind the character of Anna Manalastas.  Compared to other teleseryes where the audience cannot fully understand the character's "motivation" for doing what they do, "100 Days to Heaven" has fully established Anna Manalastas' character through flashback scenes and dialogues.  The audience was given a "sneak peek" on Anna's life--her family background, what she went through as a young girl and as a young lady--factors that molded her character as an adult. Another notable aspect in the story is that even the rationale behind her father's character, played by Mark Gil was revealed in a scene prior his character's demise. The characters of the support casts were also high established.  This, I think, gives the series an upper hand vis-a-vis other tv primetime series, because it elicits the viewer's empathy for the characters, emanating from the former's understanding of the character's personalities and background, particularly that of Anna Manalastas. In a way, the viewers are made to see where the characters "are coming from."  
Acting-wise, I didn't have to think twice about Coney Reyes.  She is definitely, in my opinion, one of the country's most reputable actresses, but the Little Anna awed me.  Honestly, since I don't watch much TV, I didn't even know her name, until I made some research.  For me, Xyriel's acting talent is astonishing, considering her age.  The support casts, being bankable actors and actresses is also another plus factor.

I was not a bit surprised to learn that "100 Days to Heaven" had trended worldwide in Twitter during its pilot telecast.  It also   grabbed the first spot in the top 20 most watched programs last May 9, according to Kantar Media. This series is really worth watching. 
http://100days.abs-cbn.com/updates.html#


For me, "100 Days to Heaven" is a refreshing TV series.  With a strong storyline and treatment plus a popular and meaningful soundtrack "Mahiwaga" by Fatima Soriano, it is potent vehicle to impart values that young people may emulate.  In the middle of technological advancement and global village where young people are presented varying views and values, there is a need for more TV programs like "100 Days to Heaven" to make the young and old rethink the values that may have often been taken for granted.




It may be a dog-eat-dog world out there, but there's "100 Days to Heaven" that will remind us that amidst all the difficulties of life, there is hope, faith, friendship, forgiveness and second chances---"Kuha Nyo?" 
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Yes.. you're right there. I love this teleserye also. Lots of good values.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks much for taking time out to read the blog Spratelygrl. :)

      Delete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...